Coconut Cake with Syrup (Cake Indokarido)
My father likes coconut as much as I love chocolate and he is always complaining that I never bake a coconut cake for him. He also likes cakes with syrup so I thought that the next “experiment” would be a coconut cake with syrup.
He was so excited with the result that he even asked for the recipe. He said that he will bake the cake whenever he feels that he wants to eat a coconut cake.
Coconut Cake with Syrup (Cake Indokarido)Ingredients
5 medium eggs
1 cup of sugar
1 vanilla sachet
2 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 cups of shredded dry coconut
½ cup butter
½ cup fresh milk
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon of orange zest
1½ cup sugar
1½ cup water
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon orange zest
¼ cup orange juice
In a deep pan mix all syrup ingredients together and boil for 15 – 20 minutes; set aside to cool completely.
1. In a mixer beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla sachet for eight minutes, at high speed, until light and fluffy.
2. Melt the butter and add to it the milk. Then pour in the egg mixture.
3. Sift flour with baking powder; add to the egg mixture (lightly mix with a spatula).
4. Then add the shredder coconut and mix until combine.
5. At the end add the orange juice and the orange zest and combine.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 170ºF, for 40 minutes.
7. Cut the cake into squares and pour on it the syrup. Allow to cool completely before serving.