This recipe was created especially for the “Creative Concoctions”, an event which is held in Kopiaste.. to Greek Hospitality.
I decided to make a vegan cake, not only because more and more people are asking for vegan cakes nowadays, but because we are running a 50 day lend period before the Greek Orthodox Easter.
As I always do, I opened my fridge and kitchen cupboards and started gathering the ingredients which I thought could make a “tasty” marriage :-).
Below you can find the recipe which took me only 10 minutes to prepare. It is one of the easiest cakes I ever made and perfect with a cup of tea, coffee, cappuccino… Enjoy!!
Vegan Chocolate Cake
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons caster sugar
Juice of 3 fresh oranges
Zest of an orange
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
2 cups of all purpose flour (sifted)
1 cup of self raising flour (sifted)
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
½ cup of almonds (crashed, to sprinkle on top before baking)
1) Preheat the oven to 170ºC (340ºF).
2) Mix all ingredients together with a hand whisk.
3) Spread mixture into pan and add on top the crashed almonds
4) Bake for 45 minutes in 170ºC (340ºF); then continue baking for another 15 minutes to 160ºC (320ºF).
5) Stand cake 5 minutes; turn onto wire rack to cool.