Cooking Time: 1 hour
300g medium apples (Golden Delicious variety)
150g self-raising flour
100g plain flour
9g baking powder
125g butter (softened, extra)
165g brown sugar
150g white sugar
5 ml vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to moderate (180ºC/160ºC fan-forced). Grease 20cm bundt pan.
2. Peel, core and quarter apples. Melt butter in large frying pan; cook apple about 5 minutes or until browned lightly. Strain apples over medium bowl. Reserve apples and cooking liquid.
3. Beat extra butter, white sugar and extract in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions; transfer to large bowl. Stir in sifted dry ingredients and buttermilk, in two batches.
4. Spread 2/3 of the mixture into pan. Top with apples, leaving a 2cm border around the edge; cover with remaining mixture. Bake about 50 minutes. Stand cake 5 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
5. Meanwhile, return reserved apple liquid to large frying pan, add cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until sauce thickens.
6. Serve warm cake with caramel sauce.