Shieftalia - CYPRIOT CUISINE -
One of the most common foods in the island is “Shieftalia”. It has the shape of a small sausage and it is cooked mainly over charcoal. Below you can find the detailed recipe.
2kg Minced pork (2lb 4 oz)
175g Onion; Finely chopped (6 oz)
85g - 100g Flat leaf parsley; chopped (3 oz app.)
1ts Ground cinnamon
1ts Ground black pepper
300g Lamb fat – stomach linings; (10 ½ oz)
1. Place the minced pork in a large bowl, then add the other ingredients and mix well to combine.
2. Lay the lamb fat out on a chopping board and cut into pieces 10x10cm (4x4 inch).
3. Take a small handful of the pork mixture and squeeze in the palm of your hand to form a small sausage. Place the sausage on a piece of the lamb fat and roll it up, turning the ends in to enclose totally.
4. Repeat with the remaining pork mixture and lamb fat.
5. Cook for 15 minutes over charcoal or on a barbeque grill turning occasionally. Alternatively roll the sausages in a little olive oil and cook on a barbeque grill or bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes at 200øC/400øF/gas mark 6.
6. Serve with a generous squeeze of lemon juice, a salad of your choice, and fried or roasted potatoes.
7. It can be served in special bread called “pitta” together with tomato, parsley, cucumber, onion and plain yogurt or pickle.
It is delicious!!!